-
August 11th, 2005, 04:57 PM
#11
Inactive Member
I'm a purist/completist, I guess.
I collect Molly, have been since I was 10. I want to have her complete collection (all I need to do that is her bed, night stand, necessities, tea set, Bennet, Party treats & games, shoes/socks thingie...and the retired winter activities - oh how I long for that mini ear drop bottle and alarm clock).
Last fall I also started collecting Kit. She definitely needs more stuff (all she has is meet outfit, xmas dress, aviator doll, lunch, hobo accessories, treehouse outfit & swimsuit), but alas I am poor,SAHA (stay at home aunt) and planning a wedding for the 1st of Oct, not to mention student and car loans that need to be paid off.
I definitely want to have complete collections for both girls.
I do have a few of the 1st AGOT clothes to come out, but I haven't used them since I was first given them. I just don't feel comfortable dressing my 1940s Molly in modern clothes. Though I'm getting bored with Kit always having to resort back to her Meet Outfit when Molly get to change, so I just may pull out the cute jumper for her to wear for school (aka September).
I really love short hair dolls, hence my visual appeal to Kit and Lindsey. I would love to have Lindsey, because she could wear the modern clothes...but I'm not in a position to pay what she's going for and I definitely have high standards and want one who looks brand new (hair not brushed out). If AG comes out with a AGOT with short brownish hair I will definitely think about getting her.
Well I went off into my own little AG fantasy world there... [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
-
August 11th, 2005, 05:29 PM
#12
monimarine
Guest
I only collect what I like for my girls or what DD wants for her girls. There are some outfits I don't like and we can live without them. I have worked on getting the clothes we like so that we can change them when we play, but now we are going to move on to furniture.
-
August 11th, 2005, 06:11 PM
#13
Inactive Member
I buy what I like, although I do hope to have Kit's complete collection before too long. I have mostly dolls and clothes, but I do have some of my favorite pieces of furniture and accessories.
-
August 11th, 2005, 06:23 PM
#14
Inactive Member
So far I just collect for Kirsten and I have everything except for the trunk, new plaid dress, and the midsummer dress. I believe I have a doting grandmother and my first grandchild status to thank for that. Come to think of it I never even bought anything for her out of my own pocket, but that's changing. Stupid maturity.
-
August 11th, 2005, 06:28 PM
#15
Inactive Member
Cool topic. I always enjoy reading what AG fans really go far. And sometimes your responses actually change me. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
I'm a mixed bag sort. I'm a completist when it comes to Kit and Josefina. (Sigh, alas for that gorgeous elusive piano - boohoo that I never bought it when I had the chance.) A partial completist for Samantha and Nellie (most outfits and accessories but not necessarily the dolls).
And then there are the odd completist groupings, like collecting all the dish sets, no matter which doll they're for. And all the food items. And all musical instruments.
Lastly come the odds & ends that don't fit any category, such as the discontinued Fly Fishing outfit and accessories just because my dad loved fishing and taught me to fish. And any cooking related sets because I can't seem to keep my dolls out of the kitchen.
Julia
-
August 11th, 2005, 06:31 PM
#16
Inactive Member
I started with a few of the dolls and clothes I liked best, both historical and AGoT. That soon expanded to all the historicals, because I grew to love them all, and the AGT's who are most like my grandchildren in hair and eye coloring. Then I began acquiring the clothing I like the best for the dolls I have. Then I had to have toys for them to play with so I could set up "action" scenes. Who knows where my collection will take me next? [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
August 11th, 2005, 07:05 PM
#17
Inactive Member
Well, right now only DD has dolls. SHe is not a completist but gets whatever she likes. She tries to keep the girls in their own time period or modern. I am not sure what is going to happen with Elizabeth joins our family. I wonder if she will want ballgowns for Kit and Kailey...
I intend to get a Felicity for myself and she will be purist period. I will probably only get the doll and some outfits.
DD likes to have 1 piece of furniture for each doll. The rest is just too big for us to keep in her room.
Lara
-
August 11th, 2005, 09:06 PM
#18
Inactive Member
I start by reading the books, then get the doll for that particular storyline, then get the outfits and add the accessrories. I use the outfit and some accessories at Camps and Schools, so I purchase what I need for that particular lesson plan.
And I can now admit, I collect like a psychopath!!!!!!!!!!!!
-
August 11th, 2005, 09:19 PM
#19
Inactive Member
Right now I collect what I like and can afford.
I would like to be a completist, but with all the changes and retirements, that would be a terribly costly attitude. Having followed AG from the very first catalogue when I was 6 years old . . . just imagine how warped my little brain is in terms of what would be a "complete" collection.
Someday, I hope to have enough money to call American Girl and just buy a complete collection for a doll a like and don't have yet. Hehehehe. It's a life goal anyway. . .
One of these days I'm going to go bonkers with the furniture. It's so cute but so spendy (I mean, it's a doll, right?). Beds and tables, etc. are among the few AG things I haven't been able to bring myself to fork over the money for. I'm almost there on the trunks, though . . .
-
August 11th, 2005, 09:35 PM
#20
Inactive Member
I collect for myself, though my sis can thank me for a couple of her dolls (as wells as my little goddaughter who loves Bitty Baby and Angelina). I totally started out when I was little and the company had just come about to try to collect any given girls collection but it never happened. I have a few things (mostly outfits from each). Lately I've been trying to just focus on one doll, but being the poor college student I am I can only get one thing usually at a time. Plus my bf is stuck in a rut of going for the easy way out for my birthday by getting me a doll (he'll be like oh you don't have *insert random doll here*) I never have had any of the furniture. I think I have the most for Kirsten because she was my original fave (being Swedish like me) followed by Felicity.
Jenny =)
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks